Johannesburg - The ANC has remained mum on the saga surrounding its high-ranking member Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba following the leaking of a sexually explicit video.
The party’s spokesperson Pule Mabe refused to immediately answer to questions regarding the matter when contacted by Independent Media on Monday.
He also dodged text messages sent to him regarding the party’s response on the matter and whether any action would be taken against Gigaba.
ANC national chairperson Gwede Mantashe told eNCA he would “not venture into Gigaba’s bedroom issues”.
Gigaba is a member of the ANC’s highest decision-making body between conferences, the national executive committee (NEC). He has also served as the president of the ANC Youth League.
The controversy surrounding the minister started on Sunday when he issued a series of tweets stating that a video of him performing sexual acts had been circulating among politicians.
Gigaba on Sunday morning revealed that the video was first used to try and blackmail him when he was appointed finance minister in March 2017.
He then rejected this attempt and reported the matter to the authorities including the office of the Inspector General.
Gigaba then apologised to his family for the embarrassment they may suffer as a result of the video which he says was "meant for our eyes only".
Since his public apology, public sympathy for his “embarrassment” has been growing with a number of people sharing on social media that what he does in his private space should not be up for public debate.