Port Elizabeth - The Nelson Mandela Bay draft operating budget for the 2019/20 financial year was finally passed on Friday after several failed attempts to have it adopted and death threats to councillors.
The budget was passed with a majority of 61 councillors voting for it. This came after Patriotic Alliance (PA) Councillor, Marlon Daniels supported the budget after initially pledging to vote against it when he allegedly received death threats earlier this week.
Daniels did an about-turn after being offered a position on Mayor Mongameli Bobani's mayoral committee.
Daniels, had earlier said that he was told that he would see what would happen to him and his family should he not vote in favour of the more than R12 billion budget tabled earlier this month by Bobani.
He said he received a call from someone telling him he had to support the budget.