Former national police commissioner Jackie Selebi. Photo: Antoine de Ras

Ten days after being discharged from the Steve Biko Academic Hospital following his release on medical parole last month, former police commissioner Jackie Selebi is back in hospital.

Selebi was released on medical parole on July 20 after he was diagnosed with end-stage renal failure. At the time of his release it was said that Selebi - who requires three to four dialysis sessions a day - was too sick to be discharged, but he was released from hospital the very next day.

It was said that Selebi went back to the Netcare Jakaranda Hospital, where his medical aid scheme Polmed would be paying for his treatment.

While he was incarcerated, the Department of Correctional Services covered the cost of his treatments at Steve Biko Academic Hospital which amounted to about R30 000 a month.

It is estimated that he same treatment at a private hospital would cost about R100 000 a month.

A Netcare Jakaranda spokeswoman said hospital policy was to protect patient confidentiality. Therefore the hospital could not provide any further information.

Correctional Services spokes-man James Smalberger on Thursday confirmed that Selebi had been readmitted to hospital on Tuesday. He declined to name the hospital.

“To respect doctor/patient confidentiality, the Department of Correctional Services will not comment further on the medical condition of Mr Selebi,” he said.

Selebi also suffers from diabetes and other health complications. He served 229 days of his 15-year jail term before being released on medical parole.

Smalberger said Selebi’s parole conditions had been finalised. Selebi was expected to conduct himself properly at all times, to not commit any crime or offence, to not change his residential address without prior notice and consent and to not leave the magisterial district of Pretoria without approval. He may also not use any drugs or abuse alcohol and will be visited by his supervision official at least once a week.

Selebi was convicted of corruption in 2010 and sentenced to 15 years in jail. He appealed but when the high court turned it down in December last year he collapsed in his Waterkloof home and was taken to Netcare Jakaranda Hospital for treatment. - Pretoria News