Johannesburg – Disgruntled former SABC head of corporate affairs Hlaudi Motsoeneng was greeted with songs, praises and dance from his loyal supporters who defended his decision to implement a 90% local content quota at the SABC.
The group consisted mainly of musicians who called on Motsoeneng to return to the SABC.
At the media briefing, Motsoeneng was expected to address a number of issues including the 90% local content quota.
Hlaudi supporters say to the SABC board " you will listen to us". They lashed out against BM Krish Naidoo. #Hlaudi— IOL Politics (@IOLPolitics) April 19, 2017
Motsoeneng explained that he was not representing the SABC and he backed the content quota.
Hlaudi says SA has amazing talent which should be promoted by the SABC. He refers to the broadcasting acts mandate. #Hlaudi— IOL Politics (@IOLPolitics) April 19, 2017
Hlaudi says the "noise" is about not empowering black people. Says 90% is also for white people. #Hlaudi— IOL Politics (@IOLPolitics) April 19, 2017
According to Motsoeneng, artists are workers and need to be paid accordingly. He lashed out at Krish Naidoo, calling him a sell-out.
Hlaudi talks about Krish Naidoo, says his a sellout. Says he will sellout his board members again. #Hlaudi— IOL Politics (@IOLPolitics) April 19, 2017
Hlaudi says it was a political agenda. Says how can Naidoo be a board member if he worked at Luthui House? #Hlaudi— IOL Politics (@IOLPolitics) April 19, 2017
Motsoeneng then spoke about the SABC8, saying they should have 'balanced reporting'.
Hlaudi refers to SABC 8, laughs and says they have not won yet. Says he has minutes. #Hlaudi— IOL Politics (@IOLPolitics) April 19, 2017
Hlaudi says he told SABC 8 to to have balanced reporting. Says who will die while you wait for a person to respond to add "balance". #Hlaudi— IOL Politics (@IOLPolitics) April 19, 2017
Last year, the Western Cape High Court ruled in favour of the DA and finding that the appointment of Motsoeneng as SABC’s group executive of corporate affairs was unlawful and irrational.
The court held that Motsoeneng should not hold any position at the public broadcaster until a disciplinary is held to assert the remedial action issues by the public protector.
The court also ordered that the new interim board should deliver a letter setting out the disciplinary charges against Motsoeneng.
At the briefing on Wednesday, held at Milpark in Johannesburg, supporters each took to the podium to air their views and lashed out at the new interim board warning them not changes the 90% policy instituted by Motsoeneng.
Musician Blodie Makhene warned the SABC board not “play games with artists” and warned that the should account to them.
Another group representing young artists called for the SABC board to go.
Parliament’s Ad Hoc Committee on Communication was also not spared, supporters criticized it for conducting the inquiry into the SABC with preconceived ideas about Motsoeneng.
The SABC has been facing a number constraints over the past couple of years, with rumours that some producers have not been paid this month.
Politics and Development Hub and IOL