One of the girls who was harrased at Noord Taxi rank by a group of men speaks during an interview with the Saturday star newspaper. Picture:Paballo Thekiso
One of the girls who was harrased at Noord Taxi rank by a group of men speaks during an interview with the Saturday star newspaper. Picture:Paballo Thekiso

Probe continues on taxi rank assault

By Time of article published Jan 24, 2012

Share this article:

An investigation into an assault on two young women at the Noord Street taxi rank in Joburg last month remains a priority, police said on Tuesday.

“No one has been arrested yet, but investigations are continuing,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini.

On December 30, the women were shopping near the taxi rank in the city centre when about 60 men started following and harassing them.

The women have been identified only as Zama and Nomthandazo because of the nature of their harassment.

Nomthandazo wore a black miniskirt and Zama a black top with white bra straps showing. The men taunted them about their clothes while groping them, pulling at their clothing and taking photos with their cellphones.

Almost a week later, the two opened a case of sexual assault, indecent assault and crimen injuria at the Johannesburg central police station. Dlamini said the police had not given up on the case, and were busy following leads.

Closed-circuit television footage of the assault formed part of the investigation, but the faces of the perpetrators were not clearly visible.

The attack drew widespread condemnation, with the ANC women's League describing it as a “gross violation”.

“South Africans have fought hard for the freedoms we enjoy and it is not acceptable that a group of depraved men felt they could infringe on these girls' rights by harassing and abusing them,” spokeswoman Troy Martens said.

Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele called the act “barbaric”, while Gauteng premier Nomvula Mokonyane described the men's behaviour as “animal-like”. – Sapa

Share this article: