Vukuzakhe High School principal Miss Doris Fulela. Photo: SIYANDA MAYEZA
Vukuzakhe High School principal Miss Doris Fulela. Photo: SIYANDA MAYEZA

Pupils charged after attacking teachers

By SIYABULELA DZANIBE Time of article published Sep 25, 2014

Share this article:

Durban - Criminal charges have been lodged against pupils who attacked two teachers at an uMlazi high school, severely injuring them.

Pupils went on the rampage at the embattled Vukuzakhe High School at uMlazi’s L Section last week, attacking the teachers and stoning their cars.

KwaZulu-Natal police spokesman Captain Thulani Zwane said they were investigating two cases where two male teachers were assaulted, and a vehicle belonging to one of them was damaged.

“The motive for the incident is unknown… Bhekithemba police are investigating a case of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and malicious damage to property. No arrests have been made.”

The KZN Department of Education spokesman, Muzi Mahlambi, could not say what the motive for the attack was.

He said department officials, including the district manager, had visited the school on Monday.

“This is a criminal act and after investigating and finding out who did this, we will deal with the attackers. Teachers have a right to open criminal charges,” said Mahlambi.

“We cannot allow a situation where people hide in school uniforms and commit criminal acts.”

The Daily News reported in June that the crisis at Vukuzakhe High School had been sparked by demands for the school principal, Doris Fulela, to be removed, amid unproven allegations of fraud, corruption and abuse.

As a result 32 teachers, according to the school’s register, had stayed away for two weeks.

The education department intervened to resolve the matter. After the attack last week, it was evident the school is still unstable, just weeks before the year-end exams begin.

A Congress of South African Students representative, Qiniso Ndlovu, said the two teachers were among the 32 who had staged a stayaway demanding the principal’s removal. He said the attack might have stemmed from the original, unresolved issues.

“I was phoned after school by other learners who said pupils were beating teachers. After those teachers had returned to school in June, there has been no changes at the school. They occupied their own staffroom, separated from other teachers, and would teach for less than their hourly period,” claimed Ndlovu.

“It was students who started the attack. This could have started by what had happened before June. Our wish is for them (the attacked teachers) to leave this school by next year and for the issue to be resolved,” he said.

[email protected]

Daily News

Share this article:

Related Articles