Learners from Diversity High School in South Hills, south of Johannesburg rush to climb onto their transport to take them home after their schoolmates where rob earlier this morning. 010212 Picture: Boxer Ngwenya

A group of Diversity High School pupils in South Hills, Joburg, had to attend counselling sessions after a vehicle transporting them to school was held up at the school gate.

A white Toyota Venture transporting about seven schoolchildren was held up by two men at about 7.15am on Wednesday.

The men had allegedly followed the car in a van from Katlehong in Ekurhuleni to the school gate on Coalbrook Road.

As the Venture stopped to drop off the children, the two men stopped behind them and pretended to ask for directions to the nearest petrol station. One of the children offered to show them. The two men, one of whom had a gun, then held up the group.

They stole cellphones and money and took the wheel caps off the wheels of the Venture.

The Gauteng Department of Education sent trauma counsellors to assist those affected by the incident.

Diversity High pupils said the Coalbrook Road entrance to the school was very quiet, and few people had witnessed the incident.

“We just heard from our friends. They were very traumatised and left immediately after school,” said a pupil.

The pupils also complained about dodgy characters who would stand at the corner of Outspan Road opposite the school.

“We always walk in groups because we don’t want our belongings to get stolen,” one said.

Those who used public transport said the taxis dropped them off at the local Pick n Pay, which was quite a walk away from the school.

Booysens police station commander Brigadier Morgan Rangasamy said the case was still under investigation.

He said that at the time of the incident, a colonel from the station was in the area and was already on the scene.

A hunt for the robbers’ vehicle was under way.

“The police received a phone call from the principal of the school at 8.35am and arrived on the scene within 10 minutes of that report,” said Rangasamy.

He was responding to DA Gauteng education spokesman Khume Ramulifho, who said the Booysens police station had responded to the incident only two hours after it took place. - The Star