Eastern Cape - The death toll in the initiation season in the Eastern Cape has risen to 20, provincial health department spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said on Wednesday.
“We have over 141 initiates admitted to hospitals and 20 deaths so far, Kupelo said.
“We are going to establish field hospitals to ease pressure from provincial hospitals. We are experiencing pressure.”
The boys admitted to hospitals were being treated for, among others, pneumonia, dehydration, gangrene, and a septic penis.
Several boys were also being treated for injuries resulting from beatings.