Just called Bobani on Herald’s story on Hawks.He denies the allegations. He informed me that he has since instructed his lawyer to ask 4 copies of the so-called affidavit from both Hawks & Herald. Once we have it UDM will start its own investigation. We will have cofi with Hawks.— Bantu Holomisa (@BantuHolomisa) October 29, 2018
PORT ELIZABETH - The Democratic Alliance (DA) in Nelson Mandela Bay is expected to table a motion of no confidence in Executive Mayor Mongameli Bobani next month.
This after allegations reported in The Herald, that he received hundreds of thousands of rand in an allegedly corrupt relationship with a Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Integrated Public Transport System (IPTS) service provider.
Earlier this month, The Herald reported that the Hawks swooped on Bobani’s office and removed files and computers regarding an investigation into the IPTS.
DA Eastern Cape leader Nqaba Bhanga said alleged corrupt actions, in which billions were lost, are alluded to in a reported affidavit by the Hawks.
Bhanga said the the financial stability of the metro was hanging in the balance after the city's takeover by Bobani and an ANC-led "coalition of corruption." He said that financial mismanagement, recent infighting and the implosion of the ANC in Nelson Mandela Bay would have a direct financial impact on the residents and the economy.
"Under the DA-led coalition government the Municipality’s collection rate for July 2018 was 98,8%. Since Mayor Bobani and his coalition of corruption made up of the UDM, ANC and EFF took over, the collection rate dropped to 78,7% in September 2018.
"Should this trend continue, it is likely that the city will have a budgeted revenue shortfall of R500 million in the 2018/2019 financial year."
Meanwhile, United Democratic Movement (UDM) President Bantu Holomisa tweeted that he called Bobani who had denied the allegations.
Holomisa said the UDM would start its own investigation after it obtained "the so-called affidavit".
African News Agency (ANA)