SAPS condemn violent PE protests, public violence
Port Elizabeth - Port Elizabeth police have condemned violent protests which took place in Ikamvelihle and Wells Estate and saw the torching of vehicles and the damaging of property.
Police spokesperson, Captain Andre Beetge, said the protests continued until late on Tuesday night and saw various vehicles, including police vehicles, stoned and petrol bombed.
Beetge said that two vehicles were completely burnt out on the N2 while other vehicles were damaged on the Addo Road.
It is understood that the protests were around service delivery, while residents from Wells Estate protested after they were served with eviction notices.
Seven cases of public violence, as well as two of damage to infrastructure, were opened.
Motherwell Cluster Commander, Major General Dawie Rabie, strongly voiced his concerns over the difference between protests and the throwing of stones and flammable objects at moving vehicles - risking serious injury and possible deaths of innocent motorists.
"We will review possible video evidence obtained and aim to identify the suspects and instigators involved in these public violence cases and bring these perpetrators to book," said Rabie.
The Provincial Commissioner of the Eastern Cape, Lietenunt General Liziwe Ntshinga, added her voice to emphasise that unlawfulness would not be tolerated and additional resources had been sent to assist local police in containing public violence in the Bay.
"The Saps must protect the rights of all citizens and we will not tolerate protesters to damage property or injure innocent parties. Protesters will be arrested and held accountable", she said.
African News Agency