The farmhouse where the body of a 58-year-old man, believed to be that of author and former police officer Mark Minnie, was found on Monday night. Picture: Raahil Sain/ANA

Port Elizabeth - Eastern Cape police on Tuesday, confirmed that detectives discovered a suicide note after the body of ex-policeman, Mark Minnie was discovered on a small holding in Theesecombe, Port Elizabeth.

Police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu said that a suicide note was found, but would not divulge on its contents or the location of where it was discovered. 

Naidu also said the gun found on Monday night, did not belong to Minnie. 

Minnie, co-author of the controversial book, "The Lost Boys of Bird Island", was found dead at a friend’s smallholding at Theescombe on Monday night. 

Police gather at the farmhouse where the body of a 58-year-old man, believed to be that of author and former police officer Mark Minnie, was found on Monday night. Video: Raahil Sain/ANA

The book, which is about high-ranking former National Party government ministers allegedly being part of a paedophile ring in the late 1980s, is a collaboration between journalist Chris Steyn and Minnie - a former police officer. 

The book tells the story of “fishing excursions” organised by late former defence minister Magnus Malan, wealthy businessman Dave Allen – who died by suicide at the age of 37 – and National Party environmental affairs minister John Wiley – who also committed suicide at age 80, just weeks after Allen was found dead with a similar gunshot wound to the head.

The book details how Malan, Wiley, Allen and another former apartheid-era minister, who is still alive, ferried young boys to Bird Island near Port Elizabeth where the minors were raped and forced to do other sexual acts on the men. 

Police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu speaks to the media at Theescombe property on Tuesday morning. Video: Raahil Sain / ANA

Police had earlier said that no foul play was suspected after Minnie was found with a gunshot wound to his head. A pistol was found lying next to him. 

Police have opened an inquest docket.

Early on Tuesday morning, detectives arrived at the front of the property and were unable to gain access.

Detectives and a forensic team then moved to the back of the property to cordon off the scene and carry out further investigations. 

By late Tuesday afternoon, detectives and forensic teams were still combing the scene and were later seen carrying white containers in sealed evidence bags. 

For most of Tuesday, one worker was seen accompanying detectives around the property while pointing out locations. 

Photographs where taken at the property’s garage and forensics were also seen using a metal detector.

Several workers continued to prune roses at the property’s greenhouse while the owner did not once make a single appearance. 

African News Agency (ANA)