The unemployed woman said she was on Monday instructed by the Passenger Railway Agency South Africa (Prasa) to fill in forms to lodge a claim, and told she would be contacted to be compensated “in due course”.
“All I can do is wait. It is terrible because our lives are on hold,” she added.
It was previously reported that the truck driver miscalculated the train’s speed and tried to speed across the line as the train approached Kroonstad.
Nineteen bodies were retrieved from the wreckage - eight men, five women, and four girls. Two more were unidentifiable. About 164 passengers were taken to hospital, where two remain.
The Department of Transport and Prasa have set up a 24-hour walk-in and call centre to assist the affected people.
As the identification process only began yesterday, the centre will ensure that any members of the public who want to identify their loved ones are transported from Johannesburg to Kroonstad.
The centre will also ensure that families are assisted with compensation and burial.
Stakeholders are still assessing whether Prasa or the Road Accident Fund will be held liable, as the accident involved a train and a vehicle. The centre is being operated by the Department of Transport Road Traffic Management Services and the Rail Safety Regulator at Prasa Umjantshi House in Braamfontein Johannesburg next to Park Station.