File Picture: Twitter

Johannesburg - A prominent Edenvale pastor is fighting for his life after being shot in the abdomen in his church office following an early morning service.

Apostle Paul Kamba of the Gates of Destiny was allegedly attacked by two men while he and his wife were relaxing in his office after a 10am service on Sunday.

Church spokesperson Sindiswa Maseko recounted events leading to the incident.

“It was the first service after our three-day fasting programme.

“Normally after the 10am service, the apostle goes to preach at our Florida branch, but today he didn’t go because there was a guest pastor (in Florida). So instead he, together with his wife, went to rest in his office,” Maseko said.

Two men barged in and demanded money from the pastor, she said.

“It was at this moment that Kamba allegedly lifted his arms and shouted ‘in Jesus’s name, fire!’ A lot of people heard him shout that, but thought he was praying for someone,” she said.

Seconds later, two gunshots rang out, prompting scenes of panic. One of the bullets hit the floor, while Kamba was struck by the second in his abdomen.

The pastor’s wife then volunteered to show the assailants where the money was, but the two gunmen casually left the scene.

On Sunday afternoon, congregants were still pouring into the church’s main auditorium where hymns and prayers rang out. The service was being led by Kamba’s wife.

Police spokesperson Captain Jean Olckers confirmed the incident. However, police said witnesses had indicated that there were three assailants.

A statement on the Edenvale Community Policing Forum’s Facebook page read: “The Edenvale SAPS is investigating a case where a pastor in his forties was shot at his church.”

According to witnesses, three men entered the church and then shot the pastor and fled the scene.

“It’s unknown why this took place and police are not ruling out possible business robbery.

“The pastor was rushed to hospital and is currently stable. A case of attempted murder has been opened.”

People with any information are urged to contact the police.

The Star