Pretoria- An eight-month old baby suffered third degree burns last week at a nursery school in Rjetfontein, Pretoria, after a kettle of boiling water fell on her. 

The incident happened at Incredible Nursery school and, according to the owner of the nursery, baby Naledi Dhlamini was burnt after her teacher put her on the ground. 

The infant then started crawling and pulled the kettle, causing the boiling water to spill onto her.

Dhlamini's mother, Disebo, spoke out on the incident, saying it was painful seeing her baby in so much pain because of the negligence of the crèche. 

"It was the most traumatising thing to me as her mother especially when I took her to hospital and she had to go to theatre because of her third degree burns," she said.  

Disebo said she was angry at the creche and wanted the full story on what really happened at the nursery.

Commenting on behalf of the crèche was owner Win Van Rensburg, who said the incident should have not happened and that the two people who were present when the baby was burnt were found guilty of negligence and fired. 

"My heart is in this place, it should have not happened. They were negligent," he said.

The Gauteng Social Development department has since confirmed that the crèche is not registered, with MEC Nandi Mayathula-Khoza adding that she had paid a visit to the crèche to investigate. 

Pretoria News