Pretoria - The bail hearing of the South African Police Service’s (SAPS) crime intelligence unit member -- Morris Lesiba Tshabalala, alias Captain KGB -- will be heard on Thursday, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said on Tuesday.

Gauteng NPA spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwana told a large contingent of news reporters who had gathered at the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crimes Court that the bail hearing would not continue on Tuesday as scheduled.

"The postponement won't affect the bail application proceedings as much. It's only that the court had matters that had to proceed today, and therefore could not accommodate the bail application," said Mjonondwana.

"It's only fair to the other accused as well that they have their matters proceeding in court, hence this postponement today."

READ MORE: 'Captain KGB' believed he was above the law, court hears

Tshabalala was in court last week, were the bail application was postponed to Tuesday. The crime intelligence officer faces charges including theft and defrauding the slush fund of the SAPS crime intelligence unit of more than R500,000.

According to the charge sheet, Tshabalala, in one instance, defrauded the SAPS by falsifying that R470,000 was “needed to pay for blinds and curtains for a safe house” and he pocketed more than R200,000 from it.

He also faces a charge of corruption relating to R50,000 he received.

Tshabalala was arrested by police watchdog Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) officers last week, outside the correctional services department headquarters in Pretoria central. He was there to meet his parole officer.

Despite having at least two criminal convictions, for armed robbery, masterminding a cash-in-transit heist and attempted murder, Tshabalala had the highest police clearance, and was employed by the crime intelligence unit.

"Captain KGB" was previously arrested in 1994, and convicted in 1996 for robbery with aggravating circumstances. He was sentenced to ten years behind bars.

After serving just over two years, at the Groenpunt Maximum Correctional Service Centre, Tshabalala was released. He was then re-employed by SAPS after he was released on parole.

African News Agency/ANA