Johannesburg - The NPA has thrown a spanner in Given Mkhari and his wife's attempts to resolve their domestic dispute privately by confirming that it would continue prosecuting the duo on assault charges.
The PowerFM boss and his wife Ipeleng had earlier confirmed they had withdrawn assault charges against each other following an "unfortunate incident" on Saturday.
"We confirm that an unfortunate incident happened between us in our home on Saturday, July 14, 2018.
"We both individually reported the matter to the police. We are now withdrawing each case to resolve the matter in the privacy of our home," the duo said in a statement.
They were due to appear in court over the assault.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane however, told Independent Media that despite this assertion, the State would still pursue charges against the duo.
"We've decided to prosecute both of them on assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm (GBH)," Mjonondwane said.
"The prosecutor is convinced that it is in the interest of justice that both matters continue."
She added that both of had appeared in court and were currently out on R1 000 bail each.
They were expected back in court soon.IOL