Duduzane Zuma

Johannesburg - Duduzane Zuma will make his first appearance at the Randburg Magistrate Court on Thursday to answer for charges related to a 2014 car accident that resulted in the death of a young woman.

Phumzile Dube died instantly after Zuma’s Porsche crashed into a minibus taxi on M1 in Johannesburg in February 2014.

Four years later, Zuma has been summoned to appear in court to face two charges of culpable homicide.

Another woman, who was also in the taxi at the time, died weeks later in hospital, even though her death was later ruled as the result of natural causes.

In his defence, Zuma maintained that he was not negligent as his car had lost control as it had driven into a puddle that resulted in it swerving and hitting the taxi.

An inquest ruled on by Magistrate Lalitha Chetty found that Zuma was negligent and that his actions led to the death of Dube.

However, the NPA had declined to prosecute Zuma in 2015, claiming the low chances of the case succeeding in court.

However, earlier this year the case re-emerged after former NPA prosecutor Gerrie Nel and Afriforum threatened to privately prosecute Zuma. The group said Dube’s family never received justice. 

The family was present at the media briefing held by Afriforum which announced the intention to privately prosecute Zuma.

Shortly after, the NPA had a sudden change of mind and went back to the case.

Nel said the family of Dube deserved justice and had in fact only received R5 000 in reparations from the taxi associations for the accident.

Politics Hub