Duduzane Zuma Picture: Bhekikhaya Mabaso African News Agency (ANA)

Johannesburg - AfriForum says it's pleased that Duduzane Zuma has finally appeared in court to face culpable homicide charges for a 2014 accident that led to the death of a young woman. The lobby group said it was pleased that the Dube family will finally receive justice.

Duduzane Zuma was summoned to appear in court on Thursday to face two charges of culpable homicide related to a 2014 accident that resulted in the death of Phumzile Dube. Dube died instantly after Zuma’s Porsche crashed into a minibus taxi on M1 in Johannesburg. 

Another woman, who was also in the taxi at the time, died weeks later in hospital, even though her death was later ruled as the result of natural causes. Afriforum's prosecution unit, led by former public prosecutor Gerrie Nel, had previously threatened to privately prosecute Zuma since the NPA had refused to prosecute him in 2015. 

Nel said at a briefing held earlier this year that the Dube familiy had only received R5 000 in reparations from the taxi association. AfriForum's Kallie Kriel said the lobby group was pleased. "We will continue to fight for justice for the Dube family."

Zuma's case was postponed on Thursday and he will make his next appearance on August 23. He was released on a warning and did not have to apply for bail. Chaos ensued outside the Randburg Magistrate Court as Kriel tried to speak to the media and was prevented from doing so by the lobby group BLF.

Video: Lindi Masinga/African News Agency (ANA)


BLF members said Kriel and AfriForum had no right representing and speaking for black people. BLF leader Andile Mngxitama accused the media and AfriForum of manufacturing an agenda against Zuma. “We ask the media to stop being biased and to also report the truth. The BLF has been provoked and attacked,” said  Mngxitama.

* Receive IOL's top stories via Whatsapp by sending your name to 0745573535 .