Following Thursday’s Gauteng High Court, Pretoria judgment, which has the practical effect that the film is now back to its original no-under-16 age restriction, the foundation said it would go back to the Film and Publication Board to apply for reclassification of the film, to be rated XX18.
The executive director of the foundation, Nkululeko Nxesi, said they were happy that Judge Joseph Raulinga has confirmed what they had been arguing from the start.
The foundation, as well as the Congress of Traditional leaders of South Africa, objected to the film on various grounds. These included that the film was insulting and degrading to black African women, that it exposed these women and children to sexual violence and assault, and that it showed total disrespect of the traditional initiation practice.
“The judge agreed with us on these issues This is what is important to us. Any film must strike a balance between freedom of expression and human and cultural rights.”