Following two weeks of disrupted Gautrain services and the CCMA’s unsuccessful attempts to resolve the salary deadlock, the provincial legislature will intervene. Picture: Thobile Mathonsi/African News Agency (ANA)

Johannesburg - A two-week strike by Gautrain workers ended on Monday after workers accepted an offer by the Bombela Concession Company, operator of the high-speed commuter rail system, of a one-year wage offer of eight percent salary increments for about 90 percent of employees.

Gautrain workers downed tools on July 30, demanding a 10 percent basic salary hike, R1 600 per month housing allowance, a R20 000 per annum unconditional bonus per employee, an increase in night work transport subsidy of R64 per night shift and a 55 percent medical aid contribution from the company.

On Sunday Gauteng roads and transport MEC Ismail Vadi says he was cautiously optimistic that the Gautrain strike will end soon.

In a short statement, Vadi said he had been briefed by the parties involved on extensive negotiations between the Bombela Operating Company and the United National Transport Union (Untu) over the weekend. “It does seem that an agreement is within reach,” he said.

Gautrain striking workers would be consulted on Monday on the proposed agreement and should a mandate be given by the employees the situation may be normalised soon thereafter.

“The Gauteng provincial government is pleased that the parties have gone back to the negotiating table to find one another,” Vadi said.

Untu members went on strike towards the end of July over wages. Gautrain has reportedly offered only a limited service since then. 

African News Agency/ANA