Pretoria - The Pretoria North Magistrate's Court on Monday decided that the KFC assault case be moved to the Pretoria Regional Court due to the gravity of the charges.
Matters related to an attempted murder charge could not be heard at the court, it was said.
This followed the accuseds' November 9 appearance, postponed for a decision on whether it should be moved to the regional court or be heard at the magistrate’s court.
Marius Hardi, Stephan Nel, DJ van Rooyen, Ockert Muller and Joshua Scholtz face charges of attempted murder and assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm.
They are also accused of pointing a firearm at their victim.
A video taken with a cellphone went viral on social media, showing the accused verbally and physically assaulting Jacob and Dudu Sono on August 3 at a KFC outlet in Montana.
Investigating officer Constable William Tladi, on the stand yesterday, said Jacob Sono could have died of the injuries suffered at the accuseds' hands.
After the video went viral there was a public outcry that the accused remain behind bars.
At their earlier appearances following the widely publicised incident, the court room was so packed with political organisations, the media and community members that others were asked to wait outside.
Hardi yesterday made a bail application after earlier abandoning it.
Magistrate Motlhoki Rapulana also extended the bail of his co-accused.
Hardi told the court, filled only with media and family, he had been assaulted and robbed at Kgosi Mampuru II Correctional Centre, and that some of his belongings had been stolen.
The case will be heard on February 21 next year.