Johannesburg - The two co-accused charged alongside former deputy higher education minister Mduduzi Manana of assaulting two women in a Johannesburg nightclub, will know their fate on Tuesday.
Cyril Madonsela, 35, and Thulani Mdaka, 42, have pleaded guilty to two counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm after they hit Mandisa Duma and Noluthando Mahlaba at Cubana restaurant in Fourways in August.
“The court should not take these type of assaults lightly and a strong message should be sent to the public. It is my submission that there is enough evidence before court," State prosecutor Yusuf Baba told Randburg Magistrate Saras Naidoo during proceedings on Monday.
At their previous appearance, the court heard that the two men had no previous convictions and were responsible for the wellbeing of their families.
Just like Manana, Madonsela and Mdaka said alcohol played a role in their behaviour on the evening.
Defence counsel for the two men told Magistrate Naidoo that they felt a R3,000 fine or three months imprisonment, or a R6,000 fine with a suspended sentence would be an appropriate sentence as Manana had already been ordered to compensate the women.
The matter was postponed to Tuesday for sentencing.
Manana was earlier this month sentenced to one year in jail or a fine of R100 000 for the assault, while also ordered to do 500 hours of community service. In addition, he was ordered to compensate the victims.