Gauteng MEC for Community Safety, Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane, is demanding the arrest of the man who allegedly set his girlfriend alight. File picture: ANA

Johannesburg - The horrific death of a 31-year-old woman, Viwe Dalingozi, who was doused with petrol and set alight allegedly by her jealous boyfriend, has drawn the ire of Gauteng MEC for Community Safety, Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane, who is demanding the arrest of the suspect.

Dalingozi was accosted and attacked by her boyfriend in her Johannesburg flat in the early hours of Friday morning. She was later admitted at the Charlotte Maxeke Hospital in Johannesburg. Unfortunately, she succumbed to her burn wounds on Sunday.

"Incidents of this nature have become a regular occurrence and should be condemned in the strongest possible terms. I am outraged by the senseless killing of Viwe Dalingozi by her alleged boyfriend," said Nkosi-Malobane on Wednesday.

Initial reports suggest that after discovering that Dalingozi had been in touch with her former lover, the new boyfriend flew into a rage and attacked her. He is now on the run.

"I have instructed the police to work around the clock to ensure that the perpetrator is brought to book to face the full might of the law," said Nkosi-Malobane. 

"It is very important that we continue to dissuade women not to stay in abusive relationships. Men are supposed to be protectors of women and children as well as providers in their families. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Dalingozi family during these trying times."  

African News Agency (ANA)