PICS: Fire ravages Kya Sands

By Kgopi Mabotja Time of article published Nov 11, 2015

Share this article:

Johannesburg - More than 2 000 shacks were gutted in a fire in Kya Sand, leaving hundreds of people displaced.

Residents say that a paraffin stove left unattended in one of the spaza shops caused the fire.

Fire fighters battled to contain the fire which was aggravated by high winds.

According to residents this is the biggest fire in over five years.

Only a few people could manage to salvage clothes and groceries but many people were forced to watched helplessly as the blaze engulfed their homes.

EMS could not immediately confirm if there are any injuries as they were still conducting investigations.

Independent Media

Share this article: