Johannesburg - Pikitup has resumed its services in some areas in Joburg North following violent protests by former [email protected] contract workers, the City of Joburg said on Thursday.
Earlier this week, the city confirmed that the waste management company was unable to collect waste at the Alexandra and Sandton depots (Region E) as a result of intimidation, protest action and acts of violence by the former employees.
The protests began last week on January 30 and affected Alexandra, Wynberg, Sandton, Orange Grove and Houghton.
The city's MMC for environment and Infrastructure services department, Nico de Jager, confirmed the resumption of waste collection by Pikitup following the arrest of 20 former [email protected] contract workers.
"This was revealed during a meeting I held on Wednesday with the MMC for Public Safety Michael Sun, Chief of JMPD David Tembe, COO of Pikitup Christa Venter, members of the South African Police Service (SAPS), managers of city entities as well as representatives from Region E.
"I also wish to state up front that any individual found guilty of actively participating in these disruptions, will not be eligible to apply for similar positions of a rotational nature within the city."
Pikitup will resume with service delivery with the assistance of the Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) and SAPS.
De Jager also confirmed that Pikitup had successfully applied for an interdict against the protesters to protect its infrastructure and staff members.
"We will not be held ransom by lies and hooliganism of a few at the expense of thousands," he said.