Johannesburg - Former SABC boss Lulama Mokhobo earned herself a cool R8 million and some change for spending less than a year at the helm of the public broadcaster.
She and Phil Molefe, both former SABC executives, received golden handshakes totalling more than R12 million, according to the public broadcaster’s latest annual report.
The SABC’s financial statements, included in its annual report, show former executive Phil Molefe pocketed a total package R4.8m, while former chief executive Mokhobo bagged R8m for just 11 months of service.
The report, submitted to Parliament this week, shows Mokhobo was paid the millions during the financial year which ended on March 31.
The report says the payment was for just 11 “service period in months” – made up of R5.3m in basic salary and another R2.2m in “expenses and other allowances”.
In February, Mokhobo denied she would be getting a golden handshake after she resigned amid controversy, while the SABC said the matter was confidential.
Molefe, who was the SABC’s news and current affairs executive, left the public broadcaster last year with a total package of R4.8m for a two-month “service period”.
Molefe left after reaching a settlement with the SABC after a lengthy court battle. He still had two years left of his five-year contract, which began in 2010.
A disclaimer in the report says “included in basic salary and expenses and other allowances is compensation paid in respect of loss of office”.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said on Thursday that the payments are still not up for discussion as the matter remained confidential despite the report.
“We don’t discuss the salaries of employees. Even now we can’t be (discussing it).
“We are reporting in terms of reporting requirements and not exposing it per se. We are simply complying with what we need to do,” said Kganyago.
Reporting on remuneration of executives is not about Mokhobo or the chief executive, he said.
“It shouldn’t be about Mokhobo,” said Kganyago.
Kganyago added that it should be noted that the SABC’s overall financial performance has improved from the previous financial year.
“We have improved from a disclaimer and we have now moved to a qualified audit.
“So we are moving on the right track,” said Kganyago.
Mokhobo and Molefe join a list of former senior executives to leave the struggling broadcaster with handsome payouts.
Former chief executive Dali Mpofu was paid R14.1m to leave his position as chief executive in 2009 after several clashes with the SABC board. In August 2009 the SABC’s interim board approved the payout to Mpofu.
“As part of the agreement, the former group chief executive has agreed to withdraw all pending legal actions against the corporation.
“The SABC will in turn pay advocate Mpofu all monies contractually due to him, as well as the legal costs he incurred,” the SABC board said at the time.
Former interim board chairwoman Irene Charnley described the settlement as an important step forward in “stabilising” the corporation.
Former group executive in the office of the chief executive and regions, Charlotte Mampane, walked away with more than R4.3m in 2012.
Mampane is now the chief executive of the National Lotteries Board.
Raking in cash in a flash:
2014 – Former chief executive Lulama Mokhobo was paid R8 million for 11 months of service with a basic salary of R5.3m as well as R2.2m in “expenses and other allowances”.
2013 – Phil Molefe, who was the SABC’s news and current affairs executive, left the SABC last year with a total package of R4.8m after reaching a settlement with the public broadcaster after a lengthy court battle.
2012 – Former group executive in the office of the chief executive and regions Charlotte Mampane walked away with more than R4.3m.
2009 – Former chief executive Dali Mpofu was paid R14.1m to leave his post as chief executive in 2009 after several clashes with the SABC board.