Johannesburg - The SA National Civic Organisation (Sanco) on Monday appealed for urgent disaster relief for the victims of a fire which left 50 shacks gutted in Johannesburg in the early hours of the morning.
No injuries were reported in the fire at the Kathrada Park informal settlement in Claremont, Johannesburg. More than 120 people were left homeless, according to authorities.
"Those who are left destitute having lost everything in the disaster must be assisted to rebuild their lives," said Jabu Mahlangu, Sanco national spokesman.
Mahlangu urged the departments of Home Affairs and social development to help residents by replacing their identity documents, social grants cards, food parcels and distress grants.
City of Johannesburg emergency services spokesman Robert Mulaudzi said the fire was caused by an unattended burning candle in one of the shacks.
African News Agency (ANA)