AB Xuma Primary School in Soweto where pupils were allegedly molested by a scholar patroller. Picture: Dimpho Maja/ANA

Johannesburg - A 57-year-old scholar patroller, accused of sexually assaulting  87 learners at a primary school in Soweto, is expected to appear in the Protea Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

On October 25, the man abandoned his bail in court. Dennis Mabasa for the patroller told Magistrate Ronald Zakwe that he was instructed to abandon the bail application pending the finalisation of investigations.

The 57-year-old allegedly sexually assaulted 87 girls from the primary school. 

Prosecutor Cheryl Slack said that the identity parade did not materialise as previously planned because an issue was raised by the accused regarding legal representation.

Read: Scholar patroller accused of molesting 87 pupils abandons bail bid

Slack said the 57-year-old indicated that he had engaged with Legal Aid and was no longer represented by Mabasa, which caused the parade to not happen.

Mabasa addressed the court and said the patroller denied saying that he had approached Legal Aid for representation.

Also read: WATCH: 'We were made aware of more sexual assault cases in schools'

The man confirmed to Zakwe that Mabasa was still his legal representative.

Slack requested that he be taken to the police station for the identity parade to resume, but asked that an order be made that the location of the parade not be made public for the safety of the 57-year-old and to avoid interference in the investigations.