Picture: Facebook
Pretoria - The teacher accused of sexually assaulting at least nine pupils at Kodumela Primary School, located at a smallholding in Honingnestkrans, Pretoria, was not expected to report for duty on Monday morning.

“We can also confirm that the educator was served with a notice of intention to suspend him on September 8, and as such he will not report at the school on Monday (today).

“The mooted suspension will necessitate that pupils go back to school without any fear,” the Gauteng Department of Education said.

The department said it was investigating the circumstances surrounding serious allegations of sexual assault against the teacher.

It is alleged the teacher fondled pupils’ private parts last week at the school. Officials from the department visited the school and were continuing with an investigation, which would be finalised in due course, it said.

Read: GDE probes teacher who allegedly fondled primary schoolchildren

MEC Panyaza Lesufi said: “It is disappointing to learn about these disturbing allegations, as educators have a responsibility to be role models, and our children cannot be afraid to go to school in fear of sexual assault/s by an educator. Such incidents cannot be allowed to prevail in our schools.”

Earlier this year, Child Witness Institute head Dr Karen Muller told a Women and Men Against Child Abuse media briefing that on the way to school could even be dangerous for a girl pupil.

But, Muller said, research studies had shown that at school most of the abuse took place in the toilets.

“The most likely offenders are fellow pupils or teachers.

“We have seen reports in the press that there are a lot of teachers who have abused children at school.” 

Pretoria News