Johannesburg - Three people suspected of being part of a syndicate that rob people of cash after following them from banks were arrested in Alberton on Thursday, the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) said.
Spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said a multi-agency crack team spearheaded by the Hawks’ Tactical Operation monitored the suspects’ movements on Wednesday as they moved around several Johannesburg shopping malls.
"They then decided to drive towards the Alberton area where a decision was taken to take them down," Mulaudzi said.
Investigators had seized two unlicensed firearms and the vehicle the trio were traveling in, which had been hijacked a month ago in Norkem Park, Ekurhuleni.
The three men, aged between 22 and 30, were all from Johannesburg's Tembisa township and would appear in the Alberton magistrate's court on Friday.
African News Agency/ANA