Picture: www.pexels.com

Johannesburg - MPs have expressed shock after the Gauteng Education Department confirmed that 28 Grade 4 pupils had to be treated with anti-retroviral treatment and post exposure prophylaxis after being injected with syringes.

A learner from a primary school in Kempton Park had brought the syringes to school and together with friends started injecting classmates.

Chairperson of Parliament's portfolio committee on Basic Education Nomalungelo Gina said the committee was concerned about how the learner managed to get her hands on the syringes.

"We would urge everyone to put all medication, including syringes, out of reach of children, as is clearly stated on medication packaging," said Gina. 

"We need to protect and educate our children against all the dangers associated with medical equipment and medical waste."

The syringes reportedly belonged to a relative of one of the pupils.

"The Committee would like urge companies that are contracted to dispose of such used medical equipment and the community at large to do so in a safe and responsible manner. This incident could have been avoided if the necessary care was taken."