So in 2007 Gottlich established the Kidney Beanz Trust at Medi-Clinic Morningside in Sandton.
The Trust provides comprehensive care by means of psychological support and financial advice as well as providing the children and their families with the skills needed to cope with the heavy demands of chronic dialysis.
General preparation for transplantation and post transplantation information is also provided.
“It is vital that children are dialysed in a dedicated child friendly hospital environment,” says Gottlich.
In March 2015, the Kidney Beanz Trust opened its second support structure at the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital in Gauteng.
They have moved in slowly by providing transport costs to those in need, employing two nursing staff and a social worker.
An interior design firm has also come on board and has started decorating Unit 296, starting with the consultation rooms, waiting rooms and dialysis centre.
The dialysis unit is managed by Fresenius Medical Care South Africa and provides both haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis services for those patients who develop kidney failure and has its rooms adjacent to those of the trust. Children receive specific therapies during and after chronic dialysis sessions.
Since its inception, 67 children have successfully been transplanted and many more have been beneficiaries of the trust.
Of the 67, one child has had a combined kidney and pancreas transplant and 9 children have had combined kidney and liver transplants.
The 100’s Club
Kidney Beanz has had phenomenal success over the past 10 years however, sponsorship comes in as quickly as it goes out. A project by the trust has been created – the 100’s Club.
With a target of R100 000 and with as little as R100 donated per month/per member, the trust can give doing it's valuable work.
The Sign-Up Process
1. Visit http://kidneybeanz.co.za/
2. Click on “Causes”
3. Choose 100’s Club
4. Click on “Donate Now”
5. Choose an amount you would like to donate (or your own amount)
6. Enter your e-mail address
7. Add a message of support (optional)
8. Choose if you would like to make this a monthly donation
9. Choose if you would like to make it an anonymous donation (your details will be hidden from
the public and the cause)
10. Click Next
11. Enter Your Personal Details (First Name, Last Name, Address, City/Town)
12. Choose if you would like to donate by card or South African Bank account transfer
13. Click Submit
Your photo can also be added to the 100’s wall as a donor of this project. For more information visit: http://kidneybeanz.co.za/causes/100s-club/
* As part of our #WeCareWednesdays campaign, each week IOL will feature an organisation that needs a helping hand.