Johannesburg - KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Health Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu on Wednesday expressed her dissatisfaction with the service provider for Durban’s Addington Hospital after it was found that lifts in the hospital were not working when a fire broke out on Tuesday.
On Tuesday, medical waste and general refuse caught fire on the 7th floor of the hospital, leading to the paediatric and neo-natal units being evacuate. The 140-year-old hospital has been plagued by malfunctioning lifts, which has at times affected the movement of patients, staff, visitors, as well as the delivery of food to patients, and the removal of garbage.
The MEC said she wanted to know why the service provider responsible for the servicing, repair and maintenance of the lifts was unable to ensure that the lifts are always working, just like those at the many top hotels situated along the beachfront.
During a visit to the hospital on Wednesday morning, Simelane-Zulu instructed senior management of the department to act speedily to ensure the smooth functioning of the lifts.
"The briefing that we received is that the fire started just outside the service lift, which was not working at the time and had not been working for a number of days. Unfortunately, the garbage that actually comes out of the wards is kept next to the service lift if it is not working. Now, that is where the fire came from.