A diver who was conducting maintenance on a vessel in Durban harbour on Sunday afternoon is still missing. Picture: Archive

Durban - The search for a diver who went missing in the Durban harbour on Sunday afternoon continued on Monday, but had yielded no results by late Monday afternoon.
Spokesperson for KZN police Thulani Zwane said the search continued: “It is alleged that yesterday at 4.45pm, a 22-year-old diver was conducting underwater vessel hull cleaning when he drowned. A search was conducted by SAPS Divers and NSRI members but he was not located. The search is still continuing today.”

The NSRI issued a statement on Sunday night saying the the diver was believed to have been relieving another diver who was doing maintenance work on a ship berthed in the Durban harbour.

READ: Diver missing in Durban port

When the diver did not arrive to relieve the other diver at about 5pm, a search was conducted, whereafter the NSRI was contacted.

NSRI station commander Clifford Ireland said: “The sea rescue craft Megan II was launched and our sea rescue vehicle was dispatched.”

Ireland said the SAPS, a police dive unit from Police Borderline and ER24 ambulance services were also activated.

A police dive unit searched under water, joined by divers from the company undertaking the maintenance, while the NSRI sea rescue craft searched the surface.

“No sign of the missing diver has been found and police divers will continue an ongoing search operation,” said Ireland.

At Warner Beach on Monday, a man was pronounced dead after another diving incident.

ER24 spokesperson Russel Meiring said in a statement that paramedics had arrived at the beach at 9am and had been informed that a diving boat was bringing a patient to the beach. Despite resuscitation attempts, he was declared dead at the scene.

The Mercury