Damage to health care facilities inflicted by the #DurbanStorm will cost in the region of R100m to repair, says the provincial department of health. Picture: Supplied

Almost R100 million will be spent on repairs to Department of Health infrastructure damaged in last week’s storm.

The department said on Tuesday that, following assessments, R98.2m would be required for the restoration of the province’s health facilities.
 
The mammoth task necessitated the involvement of the Department of Public Works and the Treasury’s crack team would be involved in the repair of 13 health care facilities impacted by the heavy rain and gale force winds.

Among the more worse for wear are the Wentworth and King Edward Hospitals which require R28.4m and R25m to refurbish respectively.
 
At Wentworth, the roof was blown off five wards, and various other sections of the hospital. 
 
There was also flooding.  
 
Damaged roofing and flooding also impacted on critical wards at King Edward, including the intensive and high care wards, ultrasound as well as labour and maternity.
 
The provincial Pharmaceutical Supply Depot needed R7.6m for the entire roof to be replaced among other damages.
 
Other facilities impacted were KwaDabeka Community Health Centre, St Aidans, St Mary’s, Osindisweni,  Ekuhlengeni,  Prince Mshiyeni, Addington and Charles James Hospitals.
 
Health minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi was in Durban last week in the wake of the storm.
 
MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo said patients remained a priority. 
 
“We are happy that the Premier, Willies Mchunu, is directly involved in ensuring that normalcy in all areas of concern is speedily restored….also very appreciative of the generous gesture made by the private hospitals who offered to make their facilities available in case the department had the need to transfer some of the patients,” said Dhlomo.