Protest as Durban land invaders’ shacks destroyed
Share this article:
Durban - Shack dwellers in Springfield, Durban on Monday barricaded Umgeni Road with burning tyres and rubbish after, they claimed, the city tore down several of their homes earlier in the day.
One woman, who requested anonymity, said that her television had been destroyed and R2 000 stolen.
During a recent visit to the area following a petrol bombing of a house in Puntan’s Hill, one of the community leaders told The Mercury that several houses had already been earmarked for demolition.
He said some of the shacks had been built on privately owned land and that they were set to be demolished.
“When the municipality is demolishing the structure, they give you a moment to remove your stuff and sometimes your furniture gets damaged in the process,” he said at the time.
eThekwini spokesperson Tozi Mthethwa said on Monday that a court order had been executed by Land Invasion Control over council-owned property in the area.
“The land in question was invaded and the occupants were warned that the land was protected through a court order,” she said, “Despite this warning, they continued invading the property.”
Regarding the claims of theft, Mthethwa encouraged the woman to open a case with the police.