Man shot dead in service delivery protest

File picture

File picture

Published Mar 15, 2016


Mookgopong – A protester has been shot dead during a service delivery protest in Mookgopong.

Police on Tuesday confirmed the fatal shooting, but said they did not have anything to do with it. The police said they did not use any live ammunition on Monday evening while trying to tackle volatile protests in the area.

Reports from locals indicate that the 50-year-old man was among the protesters, who were trying to force their way into mayor Mayor Sarah Monyamane’s house, when he was shot.

Police said they were still trying to find out who fired the shot that killed the man.

“We are not sure who used the live ammunition, on our side we did not use live ammunition, but the case has been referred to the Independent Police Investigation Directorate for investigations,” said police spokesman Ronel Otto.

Irate residents were demanding that Monyamane step down. The protesting residents first took to the streets at the weekend. They blocked roads and set a house alight.

Protests resumed in area on Monday with residents again demanding the resignation of the mayor.

Streets were barricaded by prostesters and four houses were set alight. The houses were thought to have been owned by the Monyamanes and other councillors.

Otto said police also came under attack with petrol bombs thrown at a Nyala vehicle.

“It did catch fire, but the members were rescued and the fire extinguished before too much damage was caused,” said Otto.

Police said they were later told that a man who had been shot during the protests had died at the local clinic.

“He was taken there by members of the community so it is not certain exactly where the shooting incident took place. It is also not certain who fired the shots. The IPID is investigating this incident,” said Otto.

At least 22 people were arrested on charges of public violence and malicious damage to property.

“Last night reports were also received of foreign shops being looted,” said Otto.

Police said the situation remained calm, but tense with only a few roads inside the township barricaded.

African News Agency

Related Topics: