According to reports, the Moti family paid kidnappers R50 million for the safe return on their four sons.
According to reports, the Moti family paid kidnappers R50 million for the safe return on their four sons.

Moti brothers’ dad stops them speaking to cops, relocates his family to Dubai

By Se-Anne Rall Time of article published Jan 9, 2022

Share this article:

Durban – Police investigations into the Moti brothers kidnapping has hit a snag.

On Sunday, eNCA revealed that the brothers had been interdicted from speaking to the police by their father, Nazim Moti.

The Moti family has also reportedly relocated to Dubai.

However, police were not given time to oppose the interim order and a further date has been set for SAPS's submissions.

In October, Zia, Alwaan, Zayyad and Zidan Moti were on their way to school when their vehicle, a BMW, was intercepted by two vehicles.

IOL reported that a gang of suspects armed with R5 rifles and handguns, broke a window and then unlocked the vehicle. A grey SUV then arrived on the scene and the children were bundled into the vehicle. The driver of the BMW was found some time later, He was unharmed.

The brothers attend the Curro Heuwelkruin Independent School and come from the wealthy Moti family, who run a successful car dealership in Polokwane. The family has been involved in the motor industry for more than 20 years.

The boys were found in Vuyani, three weeks after they were taken. They were unharmed.

It was later claimed that the family paid a ransom of R50 million for the boys return.

At the time, News24 reported that the family paid the ransom in bundles of cash, securing the safe release of their sons.

It was alleged that the family asked for proof of life of the boys to ascertain that the boys were alive, and this was shown to the family a week after the kidnapping.

Speaking to eNCA, police spokesperson Robert Netshiunda, said when the boys were found, they had to be examined to see if they were harmed but they were interdicted by the father.

He said police were not allowed to speak to anyone in the family.

Netshiunda said without the statement from the boys or support of the family, the police could not do anything.

Police Minister Bheki Cele said investigations were ongoing.

He said he hoped the family would cooperate.

IOL

Share this article: