Johannesburg - The Mpumalanga provincial education department on Monday said it found no evidence of poisoned food after meals offered at the school were subjected to testing following the death of two learners on July 31.
"Based on the samples taken from the food that is supplied by the school, there were no micro-organisms (germs) that could be linked to the food borne illness," said provincial MEC Bonakele Majuba, who announced the outcome of an investigation by the health department and the local municipality.
"This means that the food from the school was safe to be consumed by the beneficiaries. Learners can henceforth receive feeding."
Last month, two children from the Nelson Ngobeni Primary School in Emalahleni died and 11 others were hospitalised in a case of suspected food contamination after showing signs and symptoms related to food borne illness, such as stomach cramps and vomiting.
The education department then announced that the department of health would conduct an investigation into the matter, and the National School Nutrition Programme was immediately suspended until the results of the probe were received.