15-year-old Spencer Tshukudu was shot dead in Blydeville on Tuesday. Picture: ANA

Rustenburg - The R20 000 bail handed down to a man accused of killing a teenager in Blydeville indicates that the matter is taken serious by the court, North West Education and Sport Development MEC Sello Lehari said on Thursday.

"The task team is urging residents to remain calm until the law takes its course as the bail amount indicates that the matter is taken serious by the court. The local municipality is doing everything to assist the family during this trying time as the funeral for the deceased will be held over the weekend," he said. 

He appealed for peace to allow the family of Spencer Tshukudu to bury him peacefully. 

Farmers gather outside the Lichtenburg Magistrate's Court during the bail hearing of Jaco du Plooy accused of killing Spencer Tshukudu on Thursday. Du Plooy was granted R20 000. Picture: Molaole Montsho/ANA

"The task team is doing all its best to see to it that services are being brought to the area and residents are asked to allow service providers to enter the area together with government officials. Their demands are being taken care of and soon all their grievances will be solved."

Lehari is the chairperson of a task team formed  by the North West provincial government early this year, to probe the cause of protests and bring stability in Ditsobotla.

Jaco du Plooy, 46, accused of shooting Spencer Tshukudu, 15, dead and injuring two others was released on a R20,000 bail in the Lichtenburg Magistrate's Court.

The court ruled that it was in the interest of justice to grant him bail as he was not a flight risk, he had clean criminal record and was the sole bread winner for his wife and four minor children.

The State opposed the bail application, stating that his released on bail could spark public unrest.

Blydeville residents outside the Lichtenburg Magistrate's Court during the bail hearing of Jaco du Plooy accused of shooting 15-year-old Spencer Tshukudu. Police had to separate them from the farmers.  Picture: Molaole Montsho/ANA

In his ruling Magistrate Motlhopa Diale noted that there was a protest before the incident and the protest continued after Tshukudu was shot.

Du Plooy said he fired several shots into a group of about men who were attacking him and his employees.

The State alleges Du Plooy was not under any attack and that Tshukudu and two other people were with a local councillor diverting traffic at an intersection to avoid the protest down the road when he fired shots at them, hitting Tshukudu between the eyes, the other two people were injured.

Tshukudu would be buried on Saturday in Blydeville.

The case against Du Plooy was postponed to November 30 for investigation.