Paul Motshabi was left permanently disabled after he was beaten up by AWB leader Eugene Terre'Blanche in 1996. File picture: Moeletsi Mabe

Ventersdorp - Former security guard Paul Motshabi, left disabled after he was beaten by the late Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB) leader Eugene Terre'Blanche, has died.

His nephew, Hendrick Motshabi, said his uncle,48,  died on August 23, due to natural causes. 

"My uncle was not himself following the attack. He will clean the house even when someone had cleaned," he said.

Motshabi was permanently disabled when the former AWB leader assaulted him in 1996. He was crippled and suffered brain damage as a result of the attack.

Terre'Blanche was sentenced to six years in prison, of which he served three years, for assaulting John Ndzima, a petrol attendant, and the attempted murder of Motshabi. 

Terre'Blanche denied the charges, insisting that in the Motshabi case, he had discovered the security guard already badly beaten in a park while patrolling Ventersdorp, after which he took him to the hospital.

AWB leader Eugene Terre'Blanche during an interview at his offices in Venterdorp, North West. File picture: Paballo Thekiso

Terre'Blanche was released from prison on 11 June 2004. He was killed on his farm outside Ventersdorp in 2010. 

Paul Motshabi's elder brother, Andries Motshabi, who also worked for Terre'Blanche, said he still remembers the day his brother was attacked.

"On that day, Terre'Blanche called my brother and they went to an open space in town. Later he told me to go to his farm because he did not have my money. On arrival, he told me that a car hit Paul on the road and he had taken him to hospital in Klerksdorp.

"He said I must not leave, but I quickly sneaked out of the house. There were two of us in the house. I hid in bales and saw him with another white man, they were looking for me. I waited until it was dark and ran home to report to my parents."

He said he went to hospital and found Motshabi badly beaten, with his face swollen.