Independent Online

Saturday, July 2, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Wartburg farm killer worked alone, say cops

Published Jun 17, 2002


Murder and Robbery Unit detectives in KwaZulu-Natal are working around the clock to catch the killer of a Wartburg couple, Robert Dent and his wife Alison, who were shot dead on their farm of Saturday morning.

Commander of the Pietermaritzburg murder and robbery unit, Superintendent Peter Scott, said police were looking for one suspect.

Story continues below Advertisement

"At this stage we believe only one person was involved. We have recovered some of the goods stolen from the farmhouse but no arrests have yet been made," said Scott.

The Dent's 12-year-old son, Nichlas, was forced to drive the killer of his parents to Trust Feeds before he was told to run for his life.

The killer broke a window to enter the house and then confronted the couple, who had been asleep. In the next room was Nichlas.

Story continues below Advertisement

The couple were held at gunpoint and the house was ransacked.

Scott said: "As far as we can establish the robbers stole guns, a television set, video recorder and other household goods.

"Mr Dent was then ordered into the bathroom and shot in the head. His wife was shot in the chest and leg. Both died instantly.

Story continues below Advertisement

"The killer could not drive and forced the Dent's son, Nichlas, to drive the bakkie to the Trust Feeds location which is about 3km from the farmhouse.

"Once they arrived at Trust Feeds, the killer told Nichlas to run. He made his way to the farmhouse and raised the alarm."

- Meanwhile, a Phoenix man died in a Durban hospital hours after he had doused himself and his wife with paraffin and set the paraffin alight.

Story continues below Advertisement

Tom Reddy, 50, had been arguing violently with his wife before the incident on Friday night.

They were both taken to hospital with burns all over their bodies.

- In a separate incident, a Phoenix garage owner was held up at gunpoint by two men who robbed him of R15 000 in cash before they fled in a white Ford Sierra.

In Asherville, Sydenham, Durban, armed men held up Anisha Seedat in her house on Friday. They demanded the safe keys and fled with the pistol they found in it.

Seedat's grandfather was slightly injured when one of the men hit him on the head.

No arrests have been made.

- Meanwhile, a 21-year-old man was found dead on a road at Sobantu, outside Pietermaritzburg, on Sunday, said Midlands police.

Captain BJ Gwala said the body of Siphiwe Khuzwayo was found on Mshiyeni Drive on Sunday.

Khuzwayo had been stabbed in the neck with a sharp object.

Motive for the attack was not known, said Gwala.

Related Topics: