Cape firefighters to work through the night
Share this article:
Cape Town - Firefighters will work through the night to ensure the fire which broke out in Muizenberg remained contained, the City of Cape Town said on Monday.
“Three helicopters will continue water-bombing the flames in Hout Bay and Tokai until sunset,” mayoral committee member for safety and security JP Smith said in a statement.
“The city's fire and rescue service, disaster risk management staff and volunteers, Table Mountain National Park, Working On Fire volunteers, Wild Land Fire Services, and the Volunteer Wildfire Services remain on scene.”
The fire started just after 2am in Muizenberg above Boyes Drive and was fanned by strong winds.
It had since spread to Ou Kaapse Weg, Chapman's Peak, Hout Bay and Tokai.
Smith said one city firefighter had been admitted to hospital after sustaining burn wounds while 52 frail-care residents from the Noordhoek retirement village were treated for smoke inhalation.
Five homes had been destroyed along Silvermine in Noordhoek, he said.
There was also some damage to parts of Tintswalo Lodge at the foot of Chapman's Peak.
Smith said about 30 houses were evacuated in Noordhoek.
Residents of the San Michelle Old-Age Home and the Noordhoek Manor Retirement Village were also evacuated but have since been able to return home.
“The wind has died down significantly today and that has helped the efforts to contain the fire,” Smith said.
“The weather outlook for the next 24 hours indicates that moderate winds will persist which will hopefully further improve the chances of bringing the fire under control.”
Earlier, the Western Cape environmental affairs department said an extra 250 firefighters were called in to tackle blazes across the Western Cape on Monday.
MEC Anton Bredell decided to bring in reinforcements and further aerial support because fire crews were exhausted.