Cape Town - Judgment in the trial of self-confessed child killer Mortimer Saunders has been set down for November.
The Western Cape High Court on Wednesday postponed the judgment to November 6. It has been set down for three days.
Saunders was arrested in May last year, after the body of three-year-old Courtney Pieters was found on top of a rubbish heap in Bofors Circle, Epping Industria, nine days after she was reported missing.
In his plea explanation, Saunders said it was not his intention to kill the toddler, adding that he just wanted to make her ill. He said he poisoned Courtney as he harboured ill feelings for her mother, Juanita Pieters.
The State has urged the court to impose a harsh sentence and wants Saunders to be convicted of premeditated murder and rape.
Saunders pleaded guilty to a charge of “plain murder” and denied raping the toddler, but admitted performing a sexual act on the victim’s corpse.
African News Agency and Cape Times