Cape Town - Patricia de Lille has been given until Monday to say why she should not have to resign as mayor.
Rumours started circulating late on Thursday and she confirmed to the Cape Argus she had received a letter from the DA’s federal executive requesting her to either resign or give reasons why she should remain in her position.
De Lille’s spokesperson, Zara Nicholson, told the Cape Argus: “The mayor saw the reports and the statements made. She has also received a letter from the party. She is currently consulting with her lawyers. Once she has consulted with her lawyers, she will make it public."
National spokesperson Phumzile Van Damme MP in a statement said, that the party's decision comes after a sub-committee found "sufficient management and governance-related challenges prevalent in the DA’s City of Cape Town caucus, negatively impacting the City’s mandate to govern efficiently for the people of Cape Town."
James Selfe, chairperson of the DA’s federal executive, did not reply to e-mails or calls.
DA sources, who wish to remain anonymous, said letters had apparently also been sent to DA chief whip in the city council, Shaun August, and council speaker Dirk Smit.
Asked for comment, August said: “I cannot talk about matters of the party.”
Smit declined to comment, but said he was aware of the allegations against him.
Should De Lille be removed, deputy mayor Ian Neilson will act as interim mayor.
An attempt by the ANC to lodge a motion of no confidence in De Lille was thwarted by Smit last month. He said the motion had not been properly signed.
Mayco member for safety and security JP Smith reported the mayor to the DA over the suspension of the special investigative unit under his control.
Both he and the mayor were suspended from party activities. However, both Smith and De Lille remained as councillors and continued to do their mayco jobs.
Smith declined to comment when approached.