Cape Town 10-01-2016:Zuko Kewuti with residents standing on the scene where Samuel Qomoyi and Athenathi Qomoyi,7 yrs old died in a shack fire in Mfuleni informal settlement.Picture Mlondolozi Mbolo reporter Mpumi Kiva

Cape Town - The Garden City informal settlement in Mfuleni is mourning the loss of a daughter and her father, who were killed when their homes went up in flames in the early hours of Sunday.

City of Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services spokeswoman, Liezl Moodie, confirmed that firefighters had responded to the Mfuleni blaze at about 5am on Sunday, by which time three informal structures had been destroyed.

Seven people were left destitute by the fire.

Garden City community leader, Malibongwe Yisa, said that the deceased, Mfaleno Qomoyi, 51, was a “loved member of the community”. His daughter, seven-year-old Asanathi Mgadi, was a friendly girl who could always be seen playing in the streets.

“It was a horrible thing to come here and see them (dead). Her mother is staying with family because she can’t be here, it is too traumatic,” he said.

Yisa said they wanted the government to do more in the prevention and response to fires. “The roads are too small and we have no address for them. This is why people die and it must change,” he said.

Qomoyi’s brother-in-law, Bongani Mgadi, said that by the time firefighters arrived, it was already too late. “Last night we left him cooking in the house, and he fell asleep. We think that is why the fire started,” he said.

Fire kits have been issued and residents had already begun rebuilding their homes by Sunday afternoon.

Another woman was killed in a fire in Enlovini informal settlement in Khayelitsha. One wood and iron structure was destroyed, leaving two people homeless.

Firefighters also responded to a fire on Devil’s Peak at around 9.30pm on Saturday, forcing the closure of De Waal Drive.

Moodie confirmed that firefighters were being assisted by Table Mountain National Parks staff and Volunteer Wildfire Services. “Firefighters were protecting property as strong winds were blowing embers down from the mountain slopes. De Waal Drive and the N2 were closed temporarily,” she said.

Cape Argus