Shakur Lekay, 11, was shot in the head, allegedly by a 17-year-old neighbour. Picture: Jack Lestrade/African News Agency
Cape Town - The family of an 11-year-old boy have described in horror how he was shot in the head, allegedly by a 17-year-old neighbour.

It’s believed the teen had asked the boy to hide the firearm for him.

Little Shakur Lekay of Bishop Lavis had been in the care of his aunt, Jacqueline Cockman, 49, for a year.

Jacqueline tells the Daily Voice she had been seeing social workers to finalise a birth certificate for the boy, who had never seen the inside of a classroom.

She says the boy was placed in her care by his family, and she warned people in her community not to expose the child to gangs and drugs.

The tragedy took place last Wednesday, while Shakur was at a neighbour’s house in Sky Road.

“He was inside the house, this person who I previously warned (to stay away from Shakur) sent the child to hide away a firearm and told him where to place it,” says Jacqueline.

“When he came back, he asked Shakur where is the firearm.

“I was at home cleaning and washing his clothing.”

She says according to a witness, the teen demanded to know from Shakur whether he had played with the gun, and swore at the boy.

“The witness says this person then took out the gun to make Shakur skrik (give him a fright).

“Shakur was scared and was already holding his head and thought maybe he would stop playing with him.

“When Shakur turned around and placed his hands inside his pockets, this person placed the gun between the head and the neck.

“The gun went off and the bullet went into his head after he was shot in the neck.”

Jacqueline says the family has a lot of questions.

“The [suspect’s] brother was murdered four years ago and we do not know if this is because of the trauma he suffered that he was wanting to be around firearms,” she adds.

Police spokesperson, Captain FC van Wyk, confirms the teen was arrested.

“This office can confirm that a 17-year-old suspect was arrested and he appeared in the Bishop Lavis Magistrates’ Court on October 18. The victim sustained a gunshot wound to his head,” he says.

“A murder case was opened and will be investigated.”

Daily Voice