Cape Town - A 33-year-old man has appeared in court this week after he allegedly cut off the private parts of his girlfriend’s two-year-old son using a pair of scissors.
The man, who is facing a charge of attempted murder, made his first appearance at the Thembalethu Magistrate's Court on Wednesday after his arrest last week.
The little boy is recovering in Red Cross Children’s Hospital where he underwent surgery to have his penis re-attached.
Police arrested the man in Rosemore in George and confiscated a pair of scissors in his possession.
Cops say they found the child with his private parts hanging by a thread of skin at his home in Woltemade Street, Rosemore, on 21 December.
The child’s mother had run out of the house with her bleeding son in her arms.
She told police that her boyfriend had cut off the boy’s penis and that she ran to neighbours, who alerted Conville Police Station.
The toddler was rushed to George Hospital and was in a critical condition after losing a lot of blood.
The blood-stained scissors were handed in as evidence and the child was transferred to Red Cross Children’s Hospital where he underwent reconstructive surgery .
The suspect had attempted to run away, but was caught the same day.
On Thursday, Dwayne Evans, communications officer for Red Cross Children’s Hospital, confirmed the child was doing well.
“We can confirm the patient is in a stable condition,” he says.
Health Department spokesperson Darren Francis says the Western Cape Health Department also released a statement saying doctors were satisfied with the boy’s progress and were monitoring his vital signs following the surgery.
Captain Malcolm Pojie, spokesperson for Southern Cape Provincial Police, says the man is expected to be back in court next week and will remain behind bars.
“The 33-year-old accused appeared in the Thembalethu Magistrate's Court yesterday after being charged with attempted murder,” he says.
“The accused was remanded in custody and the matter was postponed to 3 January pending further investigation.”
Major General Oswald Reddy , Eden Cluster Commander and also the Station Commander of Conville Police Station, says the boy’s life will never be the same again.
“This was an act committed by someone close to that boy, someone who is entrusted to care,” he says
“He has to face the full might of the law. However, the boy will be scarred for the rest of his life.”