Patricia de Lille heads to court to challenge Bowman report
Cape Town - Outgoing Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille has cast doubt on her much anticipated resignation, saying that a new damning report and the courts will decide on her position.
De Lille who is expected to vacate office on Wednesday and make room for incoming mayor Dan Plato says she will have to clear her name before stepping down from her position.
“I want to go to court before Wednesday to try to review and set aside this report. I am taking one day at a time. A day in politics is a long time.
"If anyone of you ask me if I am going to resign on the 31st , I am going to tell you, wait for the 31st. My emphasis now is to clear my name and I think I need to be respected for that. It is guaranteed by the rule of law in the Constitution” said De Lille.
Last week, the City of Cape Town council adopted the recommendation of a forensic investigation report into alleged corruption and maladministration at the City in a closed meeting.
The report by Bowman Gilfillian has recommended that De Lille, mayoral committee member for transport, Brett Herron, and former executive director Melissa Whitehead be criminally be charged.
De Lille has profusely dismissed allegations against her in the report as smear campaigns to tarnish her name. She is expected to vacate her office as of October 31st.
Following court battles and failed motions of no confidence against her, De Lille reached an agreement with DA leader Mmusi Maimane in August that she would resign as mayor if the party dropped its disciplinary proceedings against her.
It is uncertain as to whether she will resign with a new cloud hanging over her head.
* Receive IOL's top stories via Whatsapp by sending your name to 0745573535.