Harare - The leader of Zimbabwe's war veterans Chris Mutsvangwa said on Monday he would initiate court action to legalise the military action against President Robert Mugabe after the army seized power on Wednesday.
The 93-year-old president defied expectations that he would resign in a national address on Sunday night during which he was flanked by military generals.
Mutsvangwa called for less restrained protests than those staged at the weekend in an effort to dislodge Mugabe.
"Save the country further turmoil. If not, we are bringing the people of Zimbabwe back to the streets," he said Monday, as he also threatened legal action against the president.
"This time there will be a sit-in. We are not going to be leaving Harare until this guy is gone.
"He's lost his marbles."
Instead Mugabe stressed that he was still in power and would preside over the upcoming Zanu PF elective conference.
Earlier on Sunday the ruling Zanu PF party voted to sack Mugabe as it's leader. It also axed first lady Grace Mugabe and about a quarter of the ministers who make up the veteran ruler's cabinet.
On Saturday, thousands of Zimbabweans marched on the streets of Harare to "thank the military" for acting after it seized control of the government last week. Many expressed the hope that Mugabe's departure would clear the way to start rebuilding the country.
* This is a developing story
Reuters and IOL